Are you an animal lover? A team player? Do you love a challenge? A career at the Humane Society of St. Joseph County may be the purr-fect fit!
We have a highly dedicated, professional and innovative team of people who compassionately embodies our motto “We Care.” Our team strives to bring the highest quality of animal care, customer service, public education and assistance for animal and welfare issues to St. Joseph County, Indiana residents. We value the contributions of each member of our team and know that by collaborating and working together, we are most effective.
At Humane Society of St. Joseph County, caring for animals is not just a job, it’s our passion!
Interested in a career working to help animals and people in our community?
Helping a pet go from homeless to loved is an incredible experience and a job like no other!
If you’re interested in applying, please send a cover letter and
résumé to Human Resources, HSSJC, 2506 Grape Rd., Mishawaka, IN 46545; fax them to 574-255-4767; or email to email@example.com.
The Humane Society of St. Joseph County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Descriptions Posted Below
Triage Staff/Vet Assistant
Responsible for the daily medical care and wellness of shelter animals.
- Must be comfortable and able to work with all sizes and breeds of dogs
- Must be comfortable and able to work with felines, pocket pets, livestock, and wildlife
- Must have own reliable transportation
- Open and flexible schedule including weekends and holidays
- Reliable, Punctual, and Dependable Team Player
- Be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50lbs
- Attention to detail & excellent record keeping skills
- Animal handling and care experience required
Medical staff assistants are responsible for providing humane medical care for the animals, including following prescribed treatment plans to sick, injured, and ill animals, performing basic medical evaluations of new incoming animals, feeding and caring for special needs animals, and working with the shelter veterinarian to provide high quality care for shelter animals. The medical staff also assists with routine blood draws, medical testing, and euthanasia services. The ideal candidate is compassionate, professional, friendly and willing to physically work hard in a fast paced environment. Applicants with previous animal care experience is required for this position.
- Perform basic triage exams, post-surgical exams, and pre-adoption exams
- Works closely with the shelter veterinarian to alert when animals are ill or in need of medical attention and to follow through with prescribed treatments
- Responsible for dispensing prescribed medication and treatment to all shelter pets on a daily basis
- Follows all protocols for dispensing medication and medical treatment to the animals
- Provides assistance to surgical staff to perform routine spay/neuter surgeries and other procedures
- Maintains proper records for all medication and treatments given
- Works alongside a team of kennel attendants to clean and maintain kennel and cattery areas of the Shelter, in such a manner as to provide a healthy, clean, odor free and low stress environment for the animals
- Following all safety and cleaning protocols
- Feeds and provides daily care and exercise for special needs animals in the Shelter’s care
- Bathing shelter animals
- Maintains records of shelter animals
- Washing dishes and maintaining clean and orderly Treatment and Triage rooms
- Disinfecting and cleaning of animal crates, carriers, and other shelter supplies