History

A Look Back Over the Years

Incorporated in 1886, the Humane Society of St. Joseph County is one of Indiana’s oldest service agencies and still functions as one of the largest animal care, control and adoption facilities in Indiana.

In the beginning, HSSJC, was an organization dedicated to improving the lives and sheltering of women, children, and animals. HSSJC’s mission has evolved over the decades to include programs helping people and animals alike but now only sheltering animals. For a better part of 60 years, the Humane Society of St. Joseph County has been the animal control agency and shelter for unincorporated  St. Joseph County and multiple smaller municipalities within St. Joseph County, IN.

In 2009, HSSJC broke ground for a new facility at our 2506 Grape Rd. location. The new facility was built directly behind the 60+ year old building that was literally falling down around us. In October 2010, construction of the new facility was completed. This new state-of-the-art animal care facility is equipped with a triage & treatment rooms, quiet room sponsored by Palmer Funeral Homes for owner requested euthanasia, quarantine center, surgery & ICU suite, grooming rooms, multi-capacity adoption dog kennels, canine visitor play-rooms, multi-room cattery complete with four enclosed patios, community activity room and spacious reception area.

Our Community Shelter is not only the place to come and adopt a fur-ever friend, but is also host to many community activities including Paws for Pages reading program, Junior Humane Society Day Camp, Purdue University Boiler Vet Camp just to name a few. We are also a premier volunteer service stop for families, students and individuals. Our compassionate staff works closely with groups from ADEC, Logan Center, Children’s Dispensary and other organizations and programs that provide services for individuals with disabilities.

Old Building 9.23.10 005
March 2010 011
March 2010 018
8.11.11 015
10.11.10 063
10.11.10 018
outdoor dog kennel