The purpose of pet licensing is for identification and enforcement of the required rabies vaccination. The owner must show proof of current vaccination for rabies for each animal. Lost pet’s brought to the Humane Society of St. Joseph County wearing current pet license tags may be eligible for our “Free Ride Home” program and reunited with their owners at no cost.
Pet licenses for St. Joseph County residents (excluding South Bend city residents) can be purchased in person at the Humane Society of St. Joseph County or at most veterinarian offices located in St. Joseph County, IN. You can also fill out the form to the right and a Humane Society representative will contact you to finalize your pet’s license and accept payment. Online applications will be reviewed weekly and licenses issued once the application is submitted, valid rabies vaccination certificate provided, and payment made.
You must provide a copy of your pet’s rabies vaccination and microchip number if applicable. In most cases, the pet license will expire with the rabies vaccination or one year from the date it was issued. Pets that are not spayed/neutered and/or are not microchipped are not eligible for a 3 year pet license.
If you would like more information about purchasing a breeder, kennel/cattery, omnibus, pet shop, controlled animal, performance, dangerous animal, county chicken, or any other type of permit please visit the Humane Society of St. Joseph County to pick up an application.
Mishawaka City Residents
Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $10.00 per year
Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 3 year rabies vaccination= $30.00 three year license
Spayed/Neutered, not microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $15.00 per year
Not Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $15.00 per year
Not Spayed/Neutered, not microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $25.00 per year
*Mishawaka City has a three pet limit with exceptions depending on lot size.
St. Joseph County Residents & All municipalities excluding Mishawaka city & South Bend city
Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $5.00 per year
Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 3 year rabies vaccination= $10.00 three year license
Spayed/Neutered, not microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $10.00 per year
Not Spayed/Neutered, microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $30.00 per year
Not Spayed/Neutered, not microchipped, 1 year rabies vaccination= $50.00 per year
*Unincorporated areas of St. Joseph County no longer have a pet limit but all dogs/cats must be licensed and all dogs/cats/ferrets must have a valid rabies vaccination.
Procedure for St. Joseph County (IN) Residents applying for a Chicken Permit
- Application is obtained from the Humane Society either at their Grape Road location or on their web site HERE.
- Applicant fills out the application and brings it to Planning and Zoning Office for verification of the development standards in Section 154.106 (C)(2)(a).
- Planning and Zoning staff signs off in area provided on the application form.
- If the coop or any other building to be built is 120 square feet or greater, than a building permit is required from the Building Department. Regardless of size, if the structure will have electricity, an electrical permit will be required from the Building Department.
- The completed application is then filed with the Humane Society who will perform the required inspections. Applicant pays permit fee of $20.00.
Download a copy of the St. Joseph County Chicken Permit Application Packet HERE