Within St. Joseph County, we have three separate Animal Control Ordinances that pet owners are required to abide by. Mishawaka City and South Bend City both have separate ordinances. Residents of the unincorporated portions of St. Joseph County (five digit addresses), Osceola, Roseland, New Carlisle, Walkerton, North Liberty, and Lakeville town limits adhere to the St. Joseph County, IN Animal Control Ordinance. Please see the links to the right for access to these ordinances and other local and state resources.
If you have questions about animal laws in your community, please feel free to contact us.
ST. JOSEPH COUNTY & SMALLER MUNICIPALITIES: Click here to access the St. Joseph County, IN Animal Control Ordinance
RABIES INFORMATION: Click here for more information on Rabies and Rabies Control in Indiana
Procedure for St. Joseph County (IN) Residents applying for a Chicken Permit
- Chicken Permit application submitted to the Humane Society including the indicated items found on the “Building Department Animal Shelter Site Plan Checklist.”
- HSSJC Forwards application and site plan to Building Dept
- Building approves/denies – Applicant makes adjustments/withdraws application (if applicable)
- Humane Society inspects the chicken coop & pen – approves/denies living quarters
- Humane Society issues permit after payment is made
Download a copy of the St. Joseph County Chicken Permit Application Packet HERE