Our Adoption Center is open for walk-in visitors Monday-Saturday 2:00pm-4:30pm. We strongly encourage all parties interested in adopting fill out an online adoption application 48 business hours prior to visiting. This will allow us to speed up the adoption process and potentially send your new pet home with you the same day as your visit! Appointments are still preferred for approved adopters. We do not place holds on shelter pets, so becoming pre-approved will help prevent you from missing out on the pet you’d like to adopt. Please note, if you or a family member are sick or have been exposed to someone who is ill, we ask that you do not visit the shelter and wait to adopt until everyone in your home is well for at least two weeks.
Keep scrolling to see our Adoption Center Guidelines & Guest Expectations
How To Adopt
- View our adoptable pets on our website and Facebook page: Adopt a Dog or Adopt a Cat & Facebook Page
- Apply to adopt on our website and indicate which animal(s) you are interested in when prompted on the online application. Please only apply if you are hoping to adopt a pet in the next week: Click Here to Apply!
- Wait patiently as a Humane Society staff member processes your adoption application. This usually takes 1-2 business days, but may take longer. We will call you and set up a specific time for you to visit the shelter and meet the animal(s) you are interested in.
- At the appointment time you’ll be able to meet our adoptable pets. If it’s a match, you’ll take your new adoptable pet home the same day!
- All animals must be transported home in a safe and legal manner. Bring a collar and standard leash (no retractable leashes) or a secure pet carrier. We have cardboard cat carriers for sale at the shelter.
- During the adoption appointment you will sign the adoption placement agreement, receive copies of the animal’s vaccinations and other medical procedures and pay the adoption fee. We accept cash and credit. Personal checks will not be accepted.
Adoption Center Guidelines & Guest Expectations
• Be kind! Our compassionate staff are responsible for the care of 400+ animals daily. Please be patient as we help connect you with some of our amazing animals.
• No outside food or drinks.
• All visitors 18 years or older must sign the liability waiver prior to entering any of the adoption areas.
• All visitors under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, who also signs the liability waiver for the underage person. All underage persons must remain in the same area/room with the parent/guardian. For example, if the adult is in Leaping Leopards, so is the child.
• No more than 10 guests in the adoption cattery at a time. Room capacity limits posted on individual cattery rooms must be followed.
• During busy times, guests without an appointment will be limited to 20 minutes in the cattery. However, if it isn’t busy and others are not waiting to visit, guests may stay longer than 20 minutes.
• No more than 15 guests in the adoption dog kennel at a time.
• Playtimes with dogs will be reserved for approved applicants with an appointment.
• When staffing and time allow, guests without an appointment may fill out an adoption application and visit with up to two dogs for no more than 20 minutes.
• Guests are required to treat all animals with kindness and respect. No tapping or hitting on glass. No running, yelling, or fasts movements that could startle or harm animals.
• Do not reach for our touch dogs who are being walked past on leash.
• Please follow all staff instructions.
Your new pet is spayed or neutered, microchip, current on appropriate vaccinations, heartworm disease tested (canines), FIV/Felv tested (felines). You will also receive an adoption kit and copies of the adoption contract and the pet’s medical records. Adopters are encouraged to take their new pet for an overall health exam at their veterinarian’s office within 7 days of after adoption.
Most pocket pet and farm animals are not spayed/neutered.
Silver Paws & Purple Collar Club Dogs
Kittens (under 1 year old)
Cats (1-7 years old)
Cats (8+ years old)
$Waived Fee/Donation Only
Cat Lady Café Cats/Kittens
(adoption specials and adopt-a-buddy does not apply to cats/kittens adopted through the Cat Lady Café)
Adopt the first cat for the adoption fee listed above and the second adoption fee will be waived. This adoption deal is only valid for cats going home together the same day. Other restrictions may apply.
Adopters from St. Joseph County (excluding South Bend city limits) will be issued a pet license. If your new pet’s adoption fee is waived, you will be responsible for the $5-$10 pet license fee at the time of adoption.
$5.00 Guinea Pigs
$10.00 unaltered/$20.00 altered Rabbits
Before adopting a Pocket Pet, you will be asked to provide proof of an appropriate cage.This can be a picture of the cage or you can bring it to your adoption appointment. Most Pocket Pets are not spayed or neutered, micro-chipped or vaccinated. Pocket pets do not require a pet license.
Purple Collar Club
Often times we are the half-way home for wayward pets. Some of our adoptable pets may be seniors or have special medical needs that require extra care. These special needs and senior pets will become a member of our Purple Collar Club that offers reduced adoption fees to encourage adoptions.
Barn Cat Program
The Barn Cat program places healthy cats that aren’t suitable as pets in environments where they can flourish, working alongside humans to control rat and mice populations. Working cats can be placed successfully in barns, construction companies, police stations and other businesses looking for inexpensive and effective rodent control. This program is in partnership with The Meow Mission.
The Barn Cat program offers a safe home and better life to cats that wouldn’t otherwise be candidates for adoption, including:
- Cats who are inconsistent with using the litter box and would do well in an indoor/outdoor environment
- Cats who react negatively to routine handling by people and would not do well as a house cat
Working cats are often most successful when adopted in groups of two or three. Adopters must agree to provide:
- A warm, safe shelter like a barn or shop to keep the cat protected from the elements
- Food and clean water every day
- Future medical care if needed
- A way to keep the cats contained for 2-3 weeks to acclimate to new surroundings
If you or somebody you know are interested in this life-saving program, contact one of our Shelter Operations Manager Megan at (574) 255-4726 ext 0 or email her at [email protected]!
OFF-SITE ADOPTION PARTNERS
Visit our adoption partners at one of these locations to see additional adoption pets.
You may see our adoptable felines at Petsmart once a month from Monday-Sunday during business hours at 4540 Grape Rd., Mishawaka IN.
Cat Lady Café
- Visit the Cat Lady Café website and schedule a reservation. All visitors wanting to go into the cat lounge and visit with the café cats must have a pre-scheduled, paid reservation.
- If you fall in love with an adoptable café cat, you will be directed to fill out an adoption application on the Humane Society’s website. You will be prompted on the adoption application to indicate which cat(s) you are interested in adopting.
- Once processed & approved, a Humane Society representative will contact you to go over your application and set up a time to meet back at the Cat Lady Café to adopt. Adoption fee is $100 per café cat.