Within St. Joseph County, we have three separate Animal Control Ordinances that pet owners are required to abide by. Mishawaka City and South Bend City both have separate ordinances. Residents of the unincorporated portions of St. Joseph County (five digit addresses), Osceola, Roseland, New Carlisle, Walkerton, North Liberty, and Lakeville town limits adhere to the St. Joseph County, IN Animal Control Ordinance. Please see the links to the right for access to these ordinances and other local and state resources.

If you have questions about animal laws in your community, please feel free to contact us.

Procedure for St. Joseph County (IN) Residents applying for a Chicken Permit

  1. Download or pick-up a Chicken Permit application from the Humane Society.
  2. Obtain written approval from the Division of Planning & Zoning (located at the County-City Building 227 W. Jefferson Blvd. South Bend- 11th Floor) indicating that your pens, coops, and septic with dimensions verifying it meets the minimum requirements for setbacks and screening if applicable. You must provide the Chicken Permit application to the Division of Planning & Zoning to sign-off on. Zoning will approve or deny – Applicant makes adjustments/withdraws application (if applicable)
  3. Bring your site plan and application with Zoning approval to the Humane Society of St. Joseph County.
  4. Application is turned in to the Humane Society and the $20 permit fee is paid.
  5. Humane Society inspects the chicken coop & pen – approves/denies living quarters.
  6. Permit is either issued or denied.

Download a copy of the St. Joseph County Chicken Permit Application Packet HERE