Operations Update- Office Closed
Beginning November 13, 2020 our Office & Adoption Center will be closed to the public due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The wellbeing of our staff and community members are vital to our mission and we appreciate your understanding during these uncertain times. Staff will continue to be present during business hours to field calls and to help our community with animal control related business. Pet adoption and fostering is still an option for approved applicants with an appointment. Read below for more info on our daily operations.
Do you need help with an animal control related issue and/or need to surrender a pet?
1. Please call ahead and speak to one of our team members. They will direct you as to how to proceed. We can be reached Monday-Saturday 8:30am-5:30pm at (574) 255-4726 ext 0. If you have an animal control related emergency after hours or on Sundays you can leave a message for the on-call Animal Control Officer at (574) 255-4726 ext 8.
2. You must have an appointment to surrender an owned pet.
3. If you have lost or found a pet please fill out the appropriate form on our website and include a picture. Please call before coming to the shelter for a walk through or to turn in a stray animal. Lost/Found reports can be found online at http://humanesocietystjc.org/department-of-animal-control/lost-and-found-pets/
4. If you do visit, you are asked to practice social distancing and to sanitize your hands upon arrival. If you are ill or have been exposed to someone who is ill, please inform us and do not visit our shelter. You can call for service and we will try to arrange help for you to the best of our abilities.
How To Adopt/Foster While the
Adoption Center is Closed
1. View our adoptable pets on our website : http://humanesocietystjc.org/adopt/
2. Apply to adopt /foster on our website and indicate which animal(s) you are interested in when prompted on the online application: http://humanesocietystjc.org/adopt/apply-to-adopt/ or http://humanesocietystjc.org/adopt/foster/
3. Wait patiently as a Humane Society staff member processes your application. This usually takes 24/48 hours. We will call you and set up a specific time for you to visit the shelter and meet the animal(s) you are interested in.
4. At the adoption/foster appointment you will be asked to wear a mask, practice social distancing and to sanitize your hands upon arrival. During the appointment you’ll be able to meet our adoptable/fosterable pets. If it’s a match, we can send the pet home with you at the appointment!
5. Please do not visit if you or if you’ve been exposed to someone who has been sick.